Monday, February 21, 2011

A random kitchen experiment

No too long ago I read a recipe for Macaroni and Cheese done in the slow cooker.  It looked reasonable, easy, and the reviews were good, so I printed it up and added it to my pile of things to try.  Last week I gathered up the ingredients and cooked it up on Sunday evening while I was having adventures with the sewing machine. (See yesterdays post.)

Anyway, when complete the Mac and Cheese was thick, but not terribly creamy.  It was way too oily over all, and the cheeses didn't melt so much as decompose into grainy bits.  The taste was fine, but I'm really a textural eater so the grainy cheese is really a put off.  After last nights dinner, I figure I still have five or six meals left of the stuff and heaven knows I can't throw food away.

Tonight as I was staring in my fridge, pondering what to do with the remaining Mac and Cheese, I spotted a small tub of pulled pork.  I didn't make it.  It'd be cool if I did, and one day maybe I'll try... But this was just a tub of Lloyd's pulled pork that I'd picked up at the store a few weeks ago in a moment of weakness.  "Hmmmm..." I thought "Stirring in the little port that remained into a portion of the mac and cheese certainly couldn't make it much worse."  And so I did just that.

The mac and cheese concoction had set up to a solid state in the fridge.  It took about a minute and a half in the microwave to get it warm enough so that I could mix in the pulled pork.  It then took another minute and a half to bring everything up to temperature.  The new combo did cut down on the graininess of the cheese, but over all I think I like my pulled pork on a bun with a slice of cheese instead of mixed in with noodles and cheese.  Lesson learned.

Now... What to do with the remaining mac and cheese?  Do you mix anything into yours?

1 comments:

Astrids dragon said...

The boys like it when I add cooked ground beef or turkey to it, but I normally cheat and make the box kind!