Sunday, September 18, 2011

No stitching, a wedding, and a pigeon

We had a busy and lovely weekend.  No stitching was acomplished.

Friday evening the majority of the extended family gathered at Mom & Dad's house for an evening of food and stories.  I missed a good part of it because I had to attend an after work event for work, and traffic on the way home was very very bad.  When I got there, everyone was laughing and having a good time.  One of my aunts brought presents for us.  T-shirts.  Here is the front:


And here is the back:


I think I shall wear mine to the gym.  I'm sure my trainer will get a good laugh out of it.  As you can see, they run a business of growing, bailing up, and selling hay for the community they live in.  They hire a bunch of high school kids during the summer to toss bales and the boys all wear these shirts and love them.

Mom baked vanilla-almond cupcakes (and a carrot cake) on Friday.  Saturday before the wedding, it was time to get them frosted and decorated.  I was put in charge of piping on the icing, and my sister was given the task of applying the sprinkles.  Mom baked around 100 of these things.  Here we are mid-decoration:


The ceremony was in the afternoon at a nice outdoor location.  Despite what the weathermen had been predicting, the sun shone and the temperature was just about perfect.  I went and left my camera in the car so I don't have any pictures of the ceremony or the reception.  I'll have to get a few from my other SIL who was the photographer at the wedding to post.  We had a good time chatting with family and friends.  The cupcakes were a hit, plus another 100 Key Lime Cupcakes that Aunt LJ made for the reception.  It was late when we made it back home and to bed.

This morning it was my job to take my sister back to the airport.  She was only out here for two days, which was just not enough time, but all that she could get away from medical school.  On our way to the airport I nailed a pigeon.  I was traveling about 75 mph and was a bit surprised to see a pigeon standing in the middle of my lane.  More surprised when it didn't take to wing when I thought it should, and a little frightened to hear the THUMP of bird hitting the windshield.  Luckily the windshield didn't break.  I don't think the pigeon made it, though.


You can see the dust from the pigeon wing to the left, the dust smear from the body in the middle, and a bit of the other wing on the right.  This all came off the pigeon because my windshield was wet with dew when we left the house and I used my windshield wipers to see to get us started.

I do have one stitching picutre for you.  It's progress on Bless Our Home by Country Cottage Needlework.  It's my at work project so I did get a few stitches in it here and there at work.  I've been calling it Bless Our House all along and just last week figured out that I was calling it the wrong thing!!


It's getting time to kit up the Bouquets Sampler to take to work, I'm thinking.  I just need to put together the flosses and I'll be good to go.

Hugs and Stitches,
Kay

1 comments:

Jennifer said...

I guess pigeons just aren't that smart! DH hit one just the other day too. We were on the entrance ramp to the interstate and there were two of them trying to take to flight. One went high and one went low and....well....let's just say there is one less pigeon in our part of the world. Thankfully my car was okay. Glad yours was too! It can be a real scary thing when that happens.