Tuesday, January 22, 2013

1000 mile Cardio Challenge Report and other weight loss things

I still haven't managed to update my Lose to Cruise page for 2013... I guess I'm struggeling with "How many way are there to say I did okay, but not as well as I had hoped I would?"  I'm still making progress on the weight loss thing, a little bit at a time, so that's okay.

I'm having a good time tracking my distance with the help of my fitbit pedometer.  I bought that little guy last November and I love it.  The way they have the dashboard set up to track your progress really works for me.  They award little badges for different distances traveled in a day, stairs climed, pounds lost, and so on and so forth.  I am completely motivated by those dumb little badges.

Fitbit also has a scale the links up wirelessly to your account and I bought one of those things as well.  No more fudging my weight on weigh-day.  It's all put in automatically.  I like this less, but it keeps me more honest with myself.

So far, for the 1000 miles of cardio challenge I've covered 87.45 miles and have 912.55 more miles to walk before hitting the challenge goal.  It looks like I'm still on target to finish up in October... Provided my current habits don't change much in the next few months.

The other tool I use all the time on the journey is My Fitness Pal.  I use it to track my calories consumed.  I prefer to use the aps they have for my phone than to use the version on the web, but I use both pretty much equally.

There is some overlap in what the tools do, Fitbit has a calorie counter, My Fitness Pal has an exercise tracker, but I feel that Fitbit tracks exercise better than My Fitness Pal and My Fitness Pal does a better job of tracking calories than Fitbit does.  You can link up your accounts so you only have to enter items once.  Although since the Fitbit will wirelessly sync up to your account, I hardly ever type anythign into Fitbit at all.

I think I'm going to update the My Fitness Pal widget to reflect the total weight lost on my journey and the final goal.  Right now it's just looking at what I wanted to lose in 2012, or 40 lbs.  I didn't quite hit that goal, but a loss of 35 lbs in 2012 is nothing to be sneezed at.  Overall I'm down about 65 lbs, to a weight I don't ever recall being.  It feels good.  But there's another 35 lbs to go and then I can switch over to maitanence/vigilance mode.

This past weekend as I was working in the Temple, I looked at myself in the mirror and came to the conclusion that my dress was way too bit for me.  It does have ties, so I can pull it back and it looks okay from the front.  But there's about an extra foot of fabric around my waist.  So Saturday afternoon my sister and I went out and about looking for a new white dress. 

We started at the distribution center and I tried on a dress that I liked.  It fit pretty well except that it was much longer in the torso than I am.  Being a bit on the short side, I knew whatever I bought would have to be hemmed.  We fussed with the dress a bit and figured that it could be taken up at the waist, thus shortening the long torso issue, but that would also mean messing with the zipper and that earned the dress an instant no.

So we went next door to Dressed In White and started trying on a bunch of their dresses.  I found one right off that I liked.  It has the same empire/a-line shape as my current dress and it's not too long in the torso.  It will have to be hemmed before I can wear it and I just need to figure out a good bribe to get LMS to do it for me. We also found a nice cotton top that was on clearance.  I tried that top on with about 4 or 5 different skirts, but didn't like any of the skirts at all.  I bought the top anyway and next week my sister and I will try the White Elegance shop to see what they have on the way of skirts.

Hugs and Dresses,
Kay

0 comments: